Pages

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Two Weeks

Yesterday, Wednesday, marked two weeks of being in Ireland.
I've only been here for two weeks.
It feels like I've been here for two months.
I'm finally starting to get used to UCD. I've figured out how to keep myself interested during lectures, where all the buildings and classrooms are, the places that have good food versus mediocre mystery meat... (But literally, yesterday I had some gray translucent meatballs, what is that...) 
I also joined some societies, or student organizations this week. I joined the ISS (International Students Society) and got a wristband for free entry to 10 parties throughout the semester. One of them was last night at a club near Grafton Street called Break for the Border. We didn't know where the party was for a while, so we ended up just sitting in a very empty bar for about an hour. But just as I was about to leave, I found some of our other friends, and they led us to the party! We stayed and danced until about 1:30am, and then I got a ride from a very nice, very chatty cab driver back home. It ended up being a really fun time, once we actually figured out where we were supposed to be :)
I also joined the Musical Society, who is having auditions for a musical called "Into the Woods" next week. I decided it would be really freaking cool to do a show in Ireland, and I mean, how great would that look on my résumé. I decided I'm going to sing a song from [title of show], but here's the problem... I haven't sung in a while, and I don't know if there will be somewhere for me to practice... I'm hoping I can find the peace of a practice room somewhere so I don't disturb everyone on my floor (or in my building) trying to practice my song. I am confident my audition will go well though.
The last society I joined is called dramsoc. It's the schools drama society, and apparently they do a LOT of plays and events every year. I thought it would be interesting to get into, and I'm pretty sure auditions for some freshers' thing is coming up soon. I'll definitely have to double check that...
Slowly and surely, I'm getting acclimated to life at a huge university, and I'm getting much better at budgeting my money and using my time productively. I suppose that's all I have to say for now, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment