Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Just Another Day

This week has been very chill in Dublin. I've always had something to do, but it's all been pretty ordinary. Which, in my opinion, is not at all a bad thing.

Earlier in the week, my friend Holly and I found a pub we really like called the Porter House. It was one of the places we went on the pub crawl at the beginning of the semester, but it was very crowded that night and we hadn't spent much time there. But when we went the other day, it was a lovely time. I had the best Amaretto Sour I've ever tasted, and there was a live musician playing some really great music.

Holly and I went around Blackrock and downtown a bit today, just to get out. I haven't been having the best of weeks, since I didn't get into the musical I auditioned for, so I was ready for just a regular day. I started my day having breakfast at 1pm at this adorable restaurant called The Mellow Fig. They have the BEST scones EVER. I got berry tea, an egg, sourdough toast, and bacon, but I didn't like the bacon because it wasn't crispy enough, and a strawberry scone with raspberry jam. Absolutely delicious, and wonderful to just sit and look around, with nowhere to be and no deadlines to meet.




After my meal, I met up with Holly and we perused the Blackrock Market. We were expecting a farmers market, but it was actually more of a flea market; there were several stands with antiques, handmade jewelry and clothing, phone cases, cutting boards, spices, furniture, old coins, on and on. We didn't stay long, but it was interesting to see what it was. I even found a hat I liked ;D


Don't worry, I didn't buy it.

We went downtown and shopped around for a little bit. I fell in love with several things I saw, but Holly was on a mission and I had no money, so I didn't buy anything. We all know it's better this way. But we did see some really good street performers today, including a first for me in Dublin, human statues! They were really good, too!



 Just another day in Dublin. But I like the ordinary days; it allows me to have some time to gather myself and think about things. 

I got a care package from my parents a couple days ago (which made me cry), and it was filled with pictures of home and family, along with snacks that my family knows I love and my favorite TV show, Grey's Anatomy, on DVD, since I don't get any of my shows on Netflix here. I miss home, but I'm loving my time here too, and it was nice to get a little piece of home to enjoy every now and then. 

The homesickness I'm feeling is a strange mix. I don't want to go home... I want to bring home here. I want my family to be experiencing all of this with me. I want my friends to be able to visit me whenever they can. I want to be able to go back and forth between here and Cleveland as often as I need to. It's silly, but it's my reality. I wonder if it will change over time...

1 comment:

  1. It's funny because everything you say is so much like what I was feeling on my exchange. I didn't wan to go home either, I wanted you guys there with me. P.S. I was in on the care package too :P and the way you talk about that amaretto sour makes it sound like you have them all the time...

    ReplyDelete