Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wicklow

I love knowing other international students. Wanna know why? Because they want to travel and see new sights JUST AS MUCH AS ME! So me and my international friends went on an overnight trip to Wicklow, Ireland, a town South of Dublin, right on the coast. 
We arrived by bus Friday night, checked into our hostel, and set out to find food and a pub to hang out in for the night. Some of us ended up getting dinner at a little diner, then all meeting up again for drinks at a nice pub about 5 minutes from the hostel. It was nice to just hang out and chat, since this was the first time I was meeting some of these people.
The next day, we went into the town. We started out walking down a pier, going out into the sea, which was a beautiful blu-ish green color. I have never seen water this color before, and it was hard to tear my eyes away.


















After walking along the pier, we continued walking along the coast, and we came across some castle ruins, the Black Castle. there were several old cannons and anchors set up around it, and we had a great time exploring everything.










We continued walking along the coastline, through a golf course, to a gorgeous cliff area. The rocks curved into the land to form a small bay, and according to a local who led us there, seals come up onto the beach in the morning. We saw a few seals in the water while we were there, at most 4, but I was more taken by the astounding views from the top of these hills.



After we saw this breathtaking part of the land, we decided it was time for lunch. I got some of the best Fish and Chips I have ever tasted, with a free glass of wine to complete it!


Right outside the cafe where we ate lunch was the old Wicklow Gaol (pronounced the same as "jail," in the Olde English spelling). The Gaol was used during the 1700-1800s, and it was so interesting to read about all the different inmates' stories and experiences. And to see most things in their original conditions made everything so real, reminding me that real people actually experienced these horrible things once.




This was solitary confinement. Except with no light. At all.

This is a photo of me on the Tread Wheel. It was a big waterwheel type structure, and as punishment, inmates would have to hold on to the bars and keep the wheel going for hours at a time with their legs. The wheel itself served no other purpose than punishment.

It was such a wonderfully successful weekend, I cannot wait to go back that way and visit Glendalough right next door. I can only imagine what my upcoming weekends have in store for me...


No comments:

Post a Comment