Pages

Friday, October 4, 2013

Cliffs of Moher

This past Monday, I went on a day trip with Paddywagon Tours (I highly recommend them) to the Cliffs of Moher, one of Ireland's top must-see attractions. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint.

I must apologize for the poor quality of photos; my camera died as soon as we got off the bus... 
Anyway, we began our trip departing from the City Centre at 8am, bright and early. We drove about two and a half hours to get there, and our first sight to see was the Burren. This is an area of hills with large amounts of exposed limestone, and we were completely surrounded by this rocky landscape. In the middle of the Burren is the ruins of an old abbey, which we stopped to look around at for a little bit.







After this, we visited the Baby Cliffs. Not nearly as big of an attraction, the Baby Cliffs don't have any fences or barriers or walkways along the edge--so I was able to get right up to where they drop off into the sea. It was extremely windy, but even though I'm usually terrified of heights, I wanted to climb over all the rocks and get right up close and personal with the cliffs.




Our next stop was lunch (thank goodness, by this point I was starving). We ate in a little fishing town called Doolin at Fitzpatrick's Pub. I had a delicious pesto-cream-sauce-pasta dish and a chocolate chip cookie the size of my face.
We then set out for the Cliffs of Moher. My GOD. I cannot even put into words how absolutely breathtaking it is to stand and look at such a sight. I could have stood there for hours. Unfortunately I couldn't, because it was windy and rainy and we only had an hour and a half before we had to get back to the bus. 





There were a whole bunch of cows grazing on the top of the hills on the other side of the footpaths from the cliffs, and I made nice with Cow #214, whom I decided to name Meredith. 

Our final stop was a nice castle in another small town about 30 minutes away from the Cliffs. We looked at the castle a bit, but at this point all the castles are starting to look the same... so my friend I was with and I decided to go get snacks instead. We found an old phone booth on the way, and I insisted on a picture (I mean, how can you pass that up...).


It was a long day, but it was great craic (lots of fun) and I am really glad I went with this tour group. Our guide, John, was such a hoot and definitely knowledgable. I can't wait until my next adventure... who knows what it'll be!




No comments:

Post a Comment